Chalk the Block Riverwoods Chalk Art Festival
Fun for the Whole Family!
"Chalk the Block" Art Festival is a free three-day street painting event. More than 100 artists will spend hours painting and chalking the streets transforming the Riverwoods into a captivating, one of a kind experience. The Shops at Riverwoods is partnering with Clear Horizons Academy to create this must see community event. The proceeds from this event will support Clear Horizons’ efforts to build brighter futures for children with autism. This will be an experience that you won’t want to miss.
- All artists must be registered to chalk. Payment must accompany registration.
- Art square spaces will be assigned at registration.
- Artists must be finished by 3 pm September 14, 2013 for judging.
- Adult, Youth & Family/Team Artists spaces will be approximately 8 ft X 8 ft.
- Adult, Youth & Family/Team Artists will use all of the assigned space.
- All Artists may register additional chalk art for an additional fee.
- Chalk Art Festival Volunteers will be around to assist you. DO NOT hesitate to ask for chalk, water, etc.
- ONE box of 48 count Pastel Chalk will be provided for Adult, Youth & Family/Team Artists registered.
- Additional Chalk will be available at the registration area for a fee, please ask the volunteers.
- If you need additional colors, you may share or exchange chalk with other artists
- You may also purchase or use your own chalk but it MUST be water-based.
- Only CHALK can used for drawings. No paint, crayon, ink or other non-washable or permanent products.
- No fixatives may be used on the chalk drawings.
- Chalk art only to be produced in designated and assigned areas.
- The art created must be suitable for public and family viewing (no nude or lewd work). No words or symbols intended as political statements may appear within the art.
- Chalk the Block Committee reserves the right to refuse, stop or eliminate objectionable material. The Chalk the Block committee's opinion will be final. If artists have questions about their art, it is recommended that produce a paper copy of their art for approval prior to the event.
- Please respect the other artists who are working near you. Do not walk on their paintings or have open beverage containers which could spill and destroy someone's artwork.
- Please try to keep your supplies to a minimum and well contained by your space.
- The event will go on rain or shine. The artists are responsible for protecting their chalk art. Plastic drapes, tape, umbrellas can be used as needed.
- Shops at Riverwoods will use photographs and video to record the event, artist designs and artists.
- No boom boxes allowed. You may wear portable headsets.
- No pets, please!
- Your chalk art must only include chalk. Any non chalk props will exclude art from judging.
- Chalk Art Festival is a SMOKE FREE event.
Artist Tips - The following tips are suggestions to help you:
Selecting Your Image
- If reproducing an image originally created by another artist (living or deceased), it is important to credit the original artist and the title at the base of your painting or on a 3 X 5 card.
- Make color photocopy of the painting or bring the photo. Make several copies if more than one artist will be working on the piece.
If you want your proportions to be correct, you might consider drawing a grid over the photocopies using a ruler and thin marker. You can lay out a corresponding grid on the asphalt. An example is half-inch squares on the picture to 6 inch squares on the asphalt. Mount photocopies on cardboard to make them easier to work with. A carpenter's chalk line is ideal for this.
- Wisk broom or brush for cleaning the drawing surface. Do not blow the dust particles
- A 2" x 2" piece of heavy fabric, carpet square or cardboard to sit or stand on to avoid smearing your work.
- A soft towel, gardener's pad, or knee pads to kneel on. Some carpet squares available at registration.
- A chalkboard eraser, foam, terry cloth or short-cut brushes for blending larger areas of color.
- Water and a cloth or sponge to erase unwanted parts of your design.
- Old towels or rags to clean up as necessary.
- Masking tape for creating sharp borders, geometry.
- Additional chalk, if you need a lot of a certain color. Additional chalk may be available at nominal cost.
- Cotton gloves to protect your hands. Latex gloves to protect your fingertips and assist in blending colors.
- Sunscreen, sunglasses, or a hat sun exposure.
- Refreshments (or they will be available for purchase). Keep open beverage containers away from paintings. No glass allowed.
- Camera to take photos of your creation!
Chalking Your Masterpiece
- Start from the top of the painting area and begin painting the image with the colored chalk.
- Lay a foundation of color using your fingers in small areas and a chalkboard eraser for larger areas.
- Fill in the details of the image using various shades of colored chalk. Continue to blend colors to gain the right effect. Leave some chalk color unblended on the surface of the concrete to bring out colors, highlights and details.
- Work your way down the area of your painting.
- Remove the masking tape to reveal clean, crisp outlines.
- Do not blow or fan excess chalk into the air. It will dull your colors, and chalk dust is not good to breathe.
- To get intense color, apply the chalk more than once (the first time fills in cracks and crevices) and bear down hard. The second time is to let the chalk powder rest on the top of the bumps. Then don't touch it anymore!
- Sign your work when finished along with assigned number of the art square space.
In Case of Rain - Event will go on Rain or Shine!
It is recommended that artists cover their drawings with clear plastic in the event of light rain. It will be the responsibility of the artists to cover their own drawings with the sheets and weigh it down. Only in case of severe weather, the festival may be cancelled - unfortunately no refunds will be issued due to costs incurred by Shops at Riverwoods and Clear Horizons Academy.
Don’t miss this great opportunity to share your talents with the community and help families affected by Autism.
For more information, you may contact:
Shops at Riverwoods
4801 N. University Avenue
Provo, Utah 84604